Easy Entertaining: Crostini Party Station
As if you didn’t have enough things on your plate, you also have to cook for a crowd, oh yah, and you gotta entertain, no biggy, right? Wrong! We can all go into serious panic mode when it comes to feeding a party, hence, I always like to take the less-crazy-but-still-delicious route.
When you are hosting a soirée the last thing you want to do is spend time making sure everyone’s eating, instead you actually want to spend time enjoying your friends’ company, so I have the perfect solution for ya, an oldie but goodie: a crostini party station!
Crostini are a holiday staple, and even though they are a classic, people tend to overcomplicate them. I say, stick to the classics and add one sassy option, that way you’ll please everyone.
Same rule of keeping it classic and simple applies to the drinks station which should have your favourite reds, whites, and perhaps one cocktail option. Having these three options will ensure everyone gets a drink and you will avoid any “oh umm…I only drink…” type of situations. If you need any wine recommendations you can check out previous posts for inspiration.
And to make things even easier for you, here are three crostini recipes paired up with some delicious wine:
- Rosemary Cream Cheese and Roasted Carrot. Flavour profile: herby, savoury, earthy. Pairs perfect with Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay, which has citrus and fruity notes. Great together!
- Feta, Sun Dried Tomatoes, and Peppered Walnuts. Flavour profile: spicy, sweet, and nutty. My wine recommendation is Vintner’s Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon as it’s bold with the perfect acidity.
- Mustard, Salami, and Gherkins. Flavour profile: salty, rich, and spicy. This one needs a wine that refreshes your palate, hence I chose K-J AVANT Sauvignon Blanc, which is super fresh and easy to drink (so smooth!).
Now all you gotta do is get your crostini ready and you’re good to entertain! Find all the recipes below:
- 2 french baguettes
- ½ cup plain cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 bunch carrots
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorns
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup grainy mustard
- 150g sliced salami (any kind you like)
- ¼ cup gherkins, sliced in half
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes
- ½ cup feta cheese, cubed
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced
- A few red chillies, sliced
- Preheat the oven t0 350F. Cut the baguette in half lengthwise and then cut into crostini-sized pieces. Brush bread pieces with olive oil and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until crunchy and golden brown. Remove and set aside. Leave the oven on.
- Combine the cream cheese and rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Brush the carrots with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake them for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the walnuts, crushed peppercorns, and honey. Season with a touch of salt and bake for 15 minutes until walnuts are toasted. Careful not to burn them.
- ROSEMARY CREAM CHEESE AND ROASTED CARROT: spread the rosemary cream cheese on the crostini, place a piece of the roasted carrot on top along with some chilli slices, season with cracked pepper.
- FETA, SUN DRIED TOMATOES, and PEPPERED WALNUTS: place a few sun dried tomatoes on the crostini, add feta cubes, top with peppered walnuts and a some slices of spring onion.
- MUSTARD, SALAMI, AND GHERKINS: spread about 1 teaspoon of grainy mustard on each crostini, place the salami on top, add a few sliced of gherkin. Season with pepper (no salt needed as salami is salty already).
Don’t forget to enjoy the party! Happy Holiday season to y’all :).
For more food and wine pairing tips, visit the Entertaining section of our website.