Fried Green Tomatoes with Fromage Blanc
Some things were just meant to be fried. Okay, most everything was meant to be fried but green tomatoes are near the top of the list. Now if you really want to take your fried green tomatoes to the next level, try topping them with a delicious cheese like Délice de la Vallée or a nice fromage blanc.
Want to make this classic even better? Well of course you do, that’s why you’re here! Try pairing this fried green tomatoes with fromage blanc with our Kendall-Jackson Sauvignon Blanc! The flavors work together so perfectly that you won’t know what your mouth wants more of — the wine or the tomatoes! The good news is there isn’t a wrong answer.
Serve this simple dish at your next dinner party or for a quick mid-day lunch… and don’t forget the Sauvignon Blanc!
- 2 large unripe green tomatoes, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. rice oil (or other neutral flavored oil)
- ¼ tsp. good sea salt
- ¼ cup Vermont Creamery Fromage Blanc or equivalent (we suggest Délice de la Vallée)
- 1 ounce trout caviar, for garnish (if you’re feeling fancy)
- 1 ounce purslane, picked
- In a medium size bowl, soak the tomatoes in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes (can also be soaked overnight).
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, kosher salt and pepper. Using tongs or a fork, remove the tomato slices from the buttermilk and coat with the cornmeal-flour mixture.
- In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Place the tomato slices in the cast iron skillet, in batches, and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Place the fried tomatoes on a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with finishing salt. Place fried green tomatoes on a serving plate and garnish with cheese, caviar and purslane. Serve immediately.
- Serve with Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Sauvignon Blanc
Photography by Katie Wahlman