Wine Pairing: Pulled Pork Sliders with Jalapeño & Pineapple Slaw with Vintner’s Reserve Pinot Noir
Hello! Lauren here from LaurenKelp.com & today we are whipping up the absolute best summer meal – pulled pork sliders & jalapeño and pineapple slaw! This is perfect for a backyard bash, summer potluck, or dinner party for the whole neighborhood. There is a bit more prep required for this recipe than in our usual dishes, but trust me, it’s absolutely worth it! So pour yourself a glass of wine (we recommend Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Pinot Noir for this guy) and scroll away, cause we are about to rock your summer menu!
Summer is in full swing, the grill is fired up, the lawn games are out, and the fire flies are killing it! If you are anything like us, we can’t spend enough time outside! Each evening is filled with wine on the patio and every weekend is booked around events outside. Because, we’re all busy, and no one wants to spend time in the kitchen on the weekend, we’ve whipped up this fool-proof crowd pleasing recipe.
Just a heads up, the pork takes a little bit to prep, so plan ahead and put your slow cooker to work! Grab a couple of bottle of Vintner’s Reserve Pinot Noir, invite a few friends over, and have yourself a little get-together. Trust us, you’ll be the house everyone wants to hang at with dishes like these.
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 lbs. of boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoons of cayenne
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of mustard powder
- 1 large yellow onion - halved & cut into ¼ inch slices
- 6 garlic cloves - peeled & lightly smashed
- ¼ cup of tomato paste
- 1 cup of cider vinegar
- 2½ cups of chicken broth
- ¾ cup of plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup of white wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeños, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 8 cups of finely shredded cabbage
- 3 cups of fresh pineapple, chopped into small cubes
- ⅓ cup of cilantro, finely chopped
- Pour yourself a glass of Vintner's Reserve Pinot Noir. Food always tastes better with a glass of wine as your Sous chef.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and mustard powder. Rub the mixture evenly over the pork and let it sit at room temperature for 45 minutes
- Over medium - high heat, warm the oil in a large skillet until almost smoking. Brown the pork on all sides (about 6-7 minutes) and remove from heat
- In a large saucepan, combine the onion, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook on medium heat for 1 minute. Add the vinegar & broth and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally
- Transfer the broth mixture to your slow cooker & add the pork
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until fork-tender
- Shred the pork, discarding any fat, and transfer to a large serving bowl
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and salt until thoroughly combined
- In a large mixing bowl, toss cabbage, jalapeno, and cilantro
- Add yogurt mixture to cabbage mixture (in the large mixing bowl) and toss to combine. Careful not to stir or toss aggressively as the slaw will bruise
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a dish on on top of your sliders!
Photography by Constance Higley