Hi it’s Jo-Anna from A Pretty Life Blog, and I’ve got something scrumptious for you today! With tomato harvests filling up markets, it is the perfect time to add all kinds of tomato dishes to your recipe rotation. Tomato Jam, Bruschetta, Fresh Tomato Salad with Basil Vinaigrette, fresh tomatoes with breakfast, wine pairings with tomatoes, the list goes on and on!
So with tomatoes on my mind I made this Roasted Tomato, Gouda Cheese & Basil Dip for you, which is a perfect late summer appetizer.
This appetizer recipe has a fresh and simple ingredient list, making it a very easy dish to assemble. The star of this dish is definitely all the summer ripened tomatoes, then add a little cheese, ok, A LOT of cheese, some garlic, fresh basil, a splash of wine and done. Ten minutes of prep time, 25 minutes of baking time, and you have an ooey-gooey, delicious roasted dip.
This dip actually reminds me a lot of bruschetta, but this dish is served hot from the oven, and it also has the added bonus of cheese. You just can’t go wrong with melted cheese can you? I mean look how bubbly and golden it is. Don’t you just want to grab a spoon and take a big scoop and smear all over a slice of baguette?
I love recipes that just make sense. No elaborate ingredients or complicated cooking techniques, just food that tastes fresh and delicious. This is that kind of recipe, and even though I’ve given you instructions on how to make it, it’s the kind of dish that you could really just eyeball, and make your own. Want more cheese? Add it. Prefer a different kind of cheese? Try it. Use Provolone, or Swiss, or what ever variety you love. Add loads of fresh basil. More wine? Yes. Please.
Anyway, you get the idea. Make it your own, but just make it. I think you’ll love this dip.
- 2 - 3 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups of cubed Gouda Cheese
- sliced baguettes for serving
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl mix together the tomatoes, garlic, basil, wine, salt & pepper.
- Stir in the cubed cheese.
- Add the mixture to an oven proof dish.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve hot with slices of baguette.
Recipe tips & tricks:
- You can use any type of tomato for this dish. Different colours and varieties make this dish appealing to the eye.
- If the tomatoes that you are using are quite juicy, after you cut them let them rest in a bowl for about 10 minutes, then after this time, drain off the excess juice. Too much tomato juice could make the dip runny.
- Serve this dip with slices of fresh baguette —crackers are great too.
In between bites of dip loaded slices of baguette, take sips of Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay, or if you prefer a red, Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. Mmmmm, summer at it’s best.
Have a delicious day!