Shaved Brussels Sprouts & Pecorino Salad
Kelsey here from Happyolks! Sharing my favorite salad of all-time today with you: shaved brussels sprouts with luscious pecorino, bacon, bing cherries, and toasty almonds. A perfect balance of crunchy, salty, and sweet that has converted every brussels sprouts hater I’ve served. I recommend serving with the Jackson Estate Camelot Chardonnay (my favorite from Kendall-Jackson!).
- 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup toasted almonds, chopped
- 5 strips crisply cooked bacon, chopped
- ½ cup dried Bing cherries
- ¼ lb Pecorino, shaved
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 heaping tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350' F. Lay bacon pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and cook for 10-15 minutes until crisp. Remove from heat and reserve rendered fat for the dressing.
- Using a food processor or mandoline, shred brussels sprouts the way you would cabbage for coleslaw. Rinse, drain, and place in the basin of a large mixing bowl. Add cooked bacon, cherries, and almonds to the shaved sprouts.
- To make the dressing, combine olive oil, mustard, honey, red wine vinegar, and liquid bacon fat in a small bowl. Whisk until combined, then pour over the salad. Toss to completely coat.
- Garnish salad with shavings of pecorino. For large ribbons use a vegetable peeler along the long side of the cheese and repeat lengthwise.