While winter can be beautiful, this warmer weather has me excited about spring recipes, outdoor dinner parties, and clothing without sleeves! Lauren Kelp here and with this warmer weather approaching it’s time to start thinking about eating clean. While I try to be a clean eater most of the year, spring is the easiest time to incorporate vegetables and fruits into our weekly menus. To help ease the transition from more heavy (albeit delicious) winter foods to a lighter, spring-time palette, we’ve whipped up a delicious shaved vegetable salad with lemon vinaigrette!
Don’t get me wrong, I have never met a carb that I didn’t like, but spring has a way of throwing open the windows and breathing in change. You deep clean your space, you clear out closets, why not do something similar for your body?
Adding vegetables into your diet doesn’t have to be difficult nor do you have to sacrifice flavor. Just take a look? How could something this colorful taste bad? It can’t – don’t worry! While I love this salad as a complement to a protein (a good lemon basil salmon would be divine), it is also a major crowd pleaser.
So go ahead, stroll down the veggie aisle and celebrate this warmer weather with a dish that tastes as wonderful as spring-time feels. Pair it with a beautiful glass of the Vintner’s Reserve Pinot Noir and you might run out and plant a garden, you love life so much.
- 6 medium sizes carrots
- 2 medium sized watermelon radishes
- ½ head of purple cauliflower
- 10-12 large kale leaves
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1tsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup EVOO
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- ¼ tsp salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, toss the kale leave with EVOO and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place coated kale leaves on a pan and heat in oven until slightly crisp. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Using a mandolin slicer, slice the carrots, radishes, and cauliflower as thinly as possible.
- Place the sliced carrots, radishes, and cauliflower in a bowl of ice water for 2-3 minutes. The cold water will cause the vegetable to curl. Remove from water and pat dry.
- Coat and toss sliced vegetables with the Lemon Herb Vinaigrette.
- Create a bed for the salad with the crispy kale. Place the curled carrots, radishes, and cauliflower on top of each kale bed.
- Top each salad with goat cheese crumbles and walnuts to taste.
- Pair with Kendall Jackson's Vintner's Reserve Pinot Noir.
- In a small jar, combine all ingredients.
- Cover and shake vigorously.
- Season to taste with freshly ground pepper.
For more amazing recipes, keep up with us on Pinterest.