Spring Vegetable Poutine
Hi! Kelsey here again. I’ve been looking forward to sharing this recipe with you for weeks! I first learned about poutine on a visit to Toronto a few years back. French fries drenched in cheese curds and gravy? Yes, please! On the two or three occasions I’ve indulged in poutine over the years, though, I’ve always end up with a royal belly ache. This year I tried to put a lighter, healthier spin on the beloved Canadian dish here and think it’s pretty special! Pair with the zippy K-J AVANT Sauvignon Blanc and you’ve got yourself an ‘ode to spring.
- 3 lbs russet potatoes
- 6 radishes, shaved thin
- 1 cup spring garlic, chopped
- 1 cup shelled peas
- 4 spring carrots with greens attached
- 3 asparagus stalks, shaved
- ½ cup of chives, chopped
- ½ cup green onion, cut at a bias
- handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 oz fresh cheese curds
- 8 oz goat cheese
- juice of 3 lemons
- 1 tsp salt
- Rinse and cut russet potatoes into strips to preferred thickness, I like a heartier fry so I cut mine to the thickness of about my pinky finger. Rinse twice and then allow to soak in a basin of cold water in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to two days before you plan to cook. This will help the starch dissipate and create crispier french fries.
- For the goat cheese sauce, blend about 6 oz of the goat cheese with the lemon, salt until creamy. Use a little water to thin if necessary. Reserve 2 oz of crumbled goat cheese for garnish.
- Prepare vegetables and set aside until assembly.
- Instructions for frying potatoes can be found here: http://bit.ly/1HyjZw0 If you prefer baked french fries (like me!), then preheat the oven to 475' F. Spread potatoes across a rimmed baking sheet and coat with softened coconut oil and a dash of salt. Bake for 20 minutes, then broil for an additional 5 minutes to brown the tops. Remove from the oven, While the potatoes are still hot, top with cheese curds to melt a bit.
- To assemble, place in a large serving bowl. Layer with vegetables, herbs, and goat cheese sauce in batches to completely coat. Enjoy immediately.