Vegetable Cheddar Bread Bowls
Node Shortcode: [[nid:11301]]
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups half and half (or 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy cream)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped small
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bread Bowls
- Hollow out large round buns to make bread bowls, set aside
- Cook the butter, onion, and garlic on about medium heat until tender.
- Slowly add the half and half cream and chicken stock.
- In a separate glass or bowl mix the cornstarch with a little bit of water until there are no clumps and add it to the pot
- Add the nutmeg and bay leaves and cook on medium low until thickened.
- Add the carrot and broccoli and simmer until tender.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve hot in bread bowls, pour a nice glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon and enjoy!