Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Node Shortcode: [[nid:11299]]
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 3 - 5 bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (may use canned)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 2 green or red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 - 2 avocados, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds.
- Arrange them skin side down in an oven proof dish. Set aside.
- In a skillet saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and spices and simmer until most of the tomato juices have gone.
- Stir in the black beans, rice and corn. Cook until warmed through.
- Scoop the rice/bean mixture into the halved peppers.
- Sprinkle generously with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until the peppers are softened, and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with green or red onions, cilantro and chopped avocados.
- Pour a glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve and enjoy!