Wild Mushroom and Herb Chowder
Node Shortcode: [[nid:11330]]
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, cut into small chunks
- 1 large leek, cleaned well and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups chicken, turkey or beef broth
- 1 lb baby gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs wild mushrooms (any combination)
- 1/2 cup half & half or heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste (will depend on the saltiness of your bacon and broth)
- Chives, for garnish
Pair with a bottle of Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Pinot Noir.
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until the fat has rendered and bacon has browned slightly. Add the leek, celery, carrot and garlic and cook until soft and transparent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add the thyme, rosemary and bay leaf, and stir and cook for about a minute, then add the sherry. Cook for about 5 minutes, scraping any browned bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Add the mushrooms and simmer for another 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in the half & half or cream. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped chives with crusty bread for dipping, alongside a glass of Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Pinot Noir.