Apple Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
Node Shortcode: [[nid:96]]
Recipe type: Dessert
- 5 cups cubes Challah bread
- Apple Mixture:
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled cored and cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Lay out the cubed Challah bread on a cookie sheet.
- Bake the bread cubes at 300 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the bread is dried and crusty, but not brown.
- When the bread is done baking, remove it from the oven and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt 2 tbsp of butter, then add the chopped apples.
- Saute for about 3 - 4 minutes, until the apples are soft but not browned.
- Stir in the cinnamon and cook for about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, vanilla and melted butter. Then add the raisins.
Now it's time to put it all together!
- In a 9 x 13 baking dish, add the bread cubes, then the sauteed apples, making sure to scrape out all the delicious sugary cinnamon mix.
- Then pour the milk mixture over the bread and apples, and gently stir to ensure that all the ingredients are evenly distributed, and the bread is covered in the milk mixture.
- Let the dish sit for about 10 minutes so that the bread has a chance to absorb the milk/egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 1 hour, or until the pudding is puffed and firm in the centre.
- While the bread pudding is baking, you can make the caramel sauce that you will drizzle all over this delicious dish.
- In a sauce pan melt the butter, then add the brown sugar and cream.
- Stir over low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Serve the apple bread pudding warm or cold, and drizzle it with the warm caramel sauce!