Caramelized Onion, Apple and Brie Flatbread
Node Shortcode: [[nid:11280]]
Flatbread and Toppings:
- 1 large (or 3 small) Flatbread or Naan Bread
- 1 or 2 Green apples, cut into thin slices (I used Granny Smith apples)
- 3/4 cup cubed Brie cheese (I used 1/2 of a 350 g wheel of Brie)
- 1/4 cup chopped Arugula for garnish
- caramelized onions (see recipe below)
Balsamic Caramelized Onions:
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Make the caramelized onions first:
- Melt the butter in a skillet over low/medium heat.
- Slice the onions and add them to the skillet.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Turn the heat down to low, and cook the onions until they are soft and there is no liquid in the pan, about 15-20 minutes.
- Set aside.
Assemble the flatbread:
- Lay the flatbread out on a baking sheet.
- Spread the caramelized onions to cover the bread.
- Layer on the slices of apple, tucking some apple pieces under the onions.
- Sprinkle on the cubes of Brie cheese.
- Bake the flatbreads for 10 - 12 minute, or until the cheese is softly melted.
- Garnish with the chopped arugula, then cut, pour a glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay and enjoy!
These flatbreads can also be grilled on the BBQ. Just set them on a sheet of tinfoil, or directly on the grill if you wish, and bake them the same way you would in the oven. We set our BBQ to a medium-high heat, and cook them for about 8 minutes. Just watch them closely to make sure they don't burn.