Hello, hello, Kendall-Jackson readers! It’s Katie from Butterlust, and I’m back! Yes, that’s right, I just couldn’t stay away for long. (But who can when there’s Kendall-Jackson involved?)
As you may have realized by now, dessert is kind of my jam. It doesn’t matter what time of year it is, my sweet tooth knows no season, which can prove to be a little tricky when it’s the middle of summer and all I can think about is, well, cake. (Guilty.) I don’t know about you, but turning on the oven is just about the last thing I want to do when it’s 90+ degrees outside, even when cake is involved.
Which is why today, I’m sharing one of my favorite semi-homemade, no-bake summer dessert recipes. And yes, there’s cake.
The star of the show though, is a clever little recipe developed by campers called hobo packs. Hobo packs can be made in a variety of both sweet and savory combinations — the original version was a ground beef and onion combination popular with Boy Scouts — but the version I’m sharing with you today is, you guessed it, dessert-focused. The idea is, you take whatever ingredients you have on hand, wrap them tightly in foil to form a pack, and then cook the pack by either placing it over a campfire or simply on the grill. No matter what’s inside, you end up with a perfect, single-serving portion of food, no oven, stove, or cleanup required! Pretty great, right?
To make dessert hobo packs, you can use any variety of fruit you have on hand, but I chose to take advantage of the beautiful deep purple and red plums and berries that have been flooding my local market for the last few weeks. Truth be told, nothing beats warm, juicy berries that have been cooked until bubbling with a little butter and sugar. Heaven, I tell you.
And since hot, bubbly summer fruit just begs to be spooned over cake, I love to serve these hobo packs with slices of toasty, grilled pound cake. No need to make your own, I use pound cake from the freezer section and find that it stands up to grilling much better than a more delicate homemade version. Plus, we’re avoiding the oven at all costs, remember?
Whether you’re camping (ahem, glamping) or hosting an outdoor get-together with friends, I’m insisting that you pair this fruit + pound cake combination with K-J AVANT Red Blend. Yes, I know it’s summer but this blend of French reds is seductively smooth and easy to drink. Plus, its notes of plum and strawberry make it a perfect match for the berries in the hobo pack. And oh, did I mention there are notes of chocolate in there, too? Trust me on this one, the combination is to die for. In fact, this might just be my favorite pairing yet!
Enjoy! XO, Katie
- 1 plum, sliced
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 prepared pound cake, cut into thick slices
- whipped cream, for serving
- Cut out two large squares of aluminum foil. Grease the center of each square liberally with butter.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and the corn starch.
- Divide the fruit between the two squares of foil and then sprinkle evenly with the sugar and corn starch mixture.
- Wrap the foil tightly into "packs" and then place on a hot grill for 10-15 minutes or until the juices are hot and bubbly. Remove and let cool slightly.
- While the hobo packs are cooling, grill the pound cake slices, about 2-3 minutes on each side, though this time will vary based on your grill so keep a close eye to prevent burning.
- To serve, spoon the hot berry mixture over the grilled slices of pound cake and top with whipped cream or scoops of ice cream.