Here at Kendall-Jackson, we’re crazy about heirloom tomatoes. So much so that we host an Annual Heirloom Tomato Festival every September. There’s just something special about biting into a meaty heirloom tomato — it’s so much more satisfying than those store bought, thin-skinned tomatoes that don’t hold any flavor.
To highlight the heirloom tomato and let it speak for itself, we want to share this stunning heirloom tomato & mozzarella salad recipe with you! This bright summer salad is perfect for outdoor barbecues, a date night in or with a nice side of grilled beef. Pair it with our Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Chardonnay and you’ve got yourself a new instant favorite that won’t have you spending all day in the kitchen!
- 2½ lbs. heirloom tomatoes, mixed varieties
- ¼ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup micro basil or 1 dozen basil leaves, sliced & torn
- 2 large balls fresh mozzarella, cut into wedges
- Flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Slice the tomatoes in wedges (3/4 to 1-inch thick).
- In a large bowl, add tomatoes, olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and half of the basil.
- Toss and allow to marinate for 2 minutes.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes and mozzarella on a serving plate – showcasing each color.
- Pour the marinating liquid over the sliced tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Garnish with remaining basil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve with Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Chardonnay
Photography by Katie Wahlman