Hey there! It’s Melissa from The Sweet Escape back again with a drool-worthy recipe for you. Is there ever a bad time for a grilled cheese sandwich? Not in my books. Add a side of tomato soup and you’ve got a classic pairing. It makes for a great snack but you can take it up a notch with this gourmet version, add some Vintner’s Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon and you have a combo fit for guests.
What makes this combo gourmet is not only the unique & delicious ingredients but it takes some time and love to prepare. You can make the tomato soup ahead of time so then you just have to worry about cooking all those delicious ingredients for your sandwich.
CREAMY TOMATO SOUP RECIPE (4 servings)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and bay leaf and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes until broken down into smaller pieces. Stir in heavy cream and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Stir in broth until heated through, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Puree with an immersion blender or put in blender.
For that added flavor, cook up some of your favorite bacon, extra crispy, in small pieces. Garnish just before serving with a small spoonfull of the heavy cream.
Then its time to make the melt-in-your-mouth roasted garlic and caramelized onion grilled cheese. It’s a bit of a multi-step process so pour yourself a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon while you cook away.
Like any recipe, start with some great ingredients. I used a loaf of white sour dough bread and slices of gruyere cheese. You’ll also need a full head of garlic and some onions (depending on how many sandwiches you’re making).
Start with the garlic. Cut the top of the head off, place on a piece of foil large enough to wrap the head and pour about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cut open garlic.
Roast for approx. 45 minutes at 400°c or until the garlic is completely soft. When it’s done it has a caramelized look and will just squeeze right out of the clove casing.
The roasting process makes it sweet and insanely delicious. Spread over the insides of your pieces of bread.
While your garlic is in the oven, chop up your onions in thin slices and fry with some olive oil over medium heat until they are caramelized. It will take at least 30 min. Then place between slices of cheese when assembling your sandwich.
Lastly, lightly butter the outsides of your bread and grill over med-high heat until the cheese is melted.
Then you’re ready to pair up with your creamy tomato soup and some Vintner’s Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon and enjoy! You may want to make enough for second or third servings, just saying.
For more amazing recipes, keep up with us on Pinterest.