Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Strawberry Verbena Gelée
Today is February 14th, the day of cupid, sweet treats, Valentine’s greetings and yes, love. Valentine’s is considered one of the most romantic days of the year. What better way to celebrate than with our tangy, goat cheese cheesecake with its creamy richness that perfectly complements our Late Harvest Riesling.
The strawberry verbena gelée adds depth and a slight citrus note to this delicious dessert. Enjoy!
For the goat cheese cheesecake
• ¾ lbs. Cypress Grove Ms. Natural goat cheese
• 4 ounces crème fraîche or sour cream
• ½ lb. cream cheese
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 lemon, zested and juiced
• 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 300⁰F. Blend all ingredients in a food processor until completely smooth.
2. Divide the batter between 8 ramekins. Place ramekins in a 2-inch deep pan and add 1 inch of boiling water to bottom of pan. Cover pan with aluminum foil and cut with 8 slits to vent.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. If the centers are still liquid, continue cooking until centers are just jiggly. Remove from oven and allow cakes to cool.
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
For the strawberry verbena gelée
• 4 medium-large lemon verbena leaves
• 1 lb. strawberries, cleaned & stems removed
• ¼ cup sugar
• 1 sheet gelatin
1. Crush the lemon verbena leaves between your fingers. In a stainless steel bowl, add the crushed leaves, strawberries and sugar and stir to combine. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and then cover again with aluminum foil.
2. Place the bowl over a sauce pot with simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the simmering water. Cook over medium heat for 1 hour.
3. Pour the strawberry mixture through a fine mesh strainer set over a bowl and allow to drain for 30 to 45 minutes. Do not press strawberries or liquid will become cloudy.
4. In a small bowl, add the gelatin sheet and cover with ice cold water. Allow to sit until softened.
5. Heat the strawberry juice until warm. Using your hand, squeeze out the water from the gelatin and add the gelatin to the strawberry juice. Stir to combine. Allow the strawberry mixture to cool to room temperature before pouring over the cheesecake. Once cooled, pour strawberry gelée over the cheesecake.
6. Refrigerate to set.