Smothered Pork Chops
Hi it’s Jo-Anna from A Pretty Life back again to share a delicious recipe with you! Now that the holiday season is behind us, it’s back to reality! I actually really love this time of year and crave the routine that January brings. There’s just something so nice about getting back to normal, especially in the kitchen. I love holiday cooking, but I find such comfort in cooking food for real, every day life.
I know that for many people, myself included, weeknight meal planning can be challenging. We’re all busy and sometimes dinners during the week get overlooked and become stressful, but they don’t have to be! In fact, I’m on a mission this year to bring some fun and inspiration back to the every day dinner table. And a dish like these Smothered Pork Chops is just that kind of meal. The ingredients are simple and easy to assemble, which means you can have dinner ready in less than 1 hour! It’s true!
After a little bit of prep, you’re less than an hour away from a delicious and hearty meal that looks like you spent hours making it! These Smothered Pork Chops are super easy to make, and the smell of them cooking will bring your family running to the table!
The chops come out nice and tender after lightly simmering in a creamy and flavourful sauce. I like to add mushrooms to our dish, but if you don’t like them feel free to leave them out!
Serve these smothered pork chops and sauce over fettuccine noodles, and with a side salad. Enjoy!
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops, 1 inch thick
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 - 298 mL chicken broth
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup white wine (see notes)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a heavy ceramic skillet, heat up 1 tbsp olive oil over medium to high heat.
- Season the pork chops generously with salt and fresh ground pepper on both sides.
- Add the pork chops to the skillet and sear on both sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the chops and transfer them to a plate.
- To the same skillet melt 1 - 2 tbsp butter.
- Add the sliced onion, minced garlic and sliced mushrooms and cook until soft and the moisture from the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Add the dried thyme and flour to the onion mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, water and wine and simmer until the sauce thickens. Make sure to scrape up and stir in all the good brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Stir in the heavy cream and sour cream.
- Add the pork chops and simmer for about 10 - 15 more minutes, or until the chops are cooked thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with the chopped green onions and serve over egg noodles or fettuccine noodles.
And if you’re feeling fancy pour yourself a glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay to go with this dinner! Or double the recipe and invite some friends over on a weekend to enjoy this dish over wine! Sounds perfect.
If you’re looking for more delicious dinner ideas that can be ready in 1 hour or less, have a look at these recipes that I gathered together for you, here on my blog!
Have a delicious day!
Credits: Recipe & Photography: Jo-Anna Rooney of A Pretty Life in the Suburbs