Hello, hello my fabulous foodie! How is your New Year starting out? We are just shy of two weeks in and is it everything you want it to be? If you are like me, you’ve got a healthy list of resolutions and intentions set for the new year, you’ve made a plan, and your are dedicated to stick to it. Lauren here from LaurenKelp.com & this year I am really making a dedicated effort to improve my weeknight cooking.
No more take-out three nights a week or stocking our fridge full of frozen pizzas. This year is all about planning ahead and finding some tried & true recipes to have in my back pocket throughout the week. Life gets crazy & I am sure the last thing you want to do when you get home is spend an hour or more in the kitchen. I mean, between that and enjoying a glass of wine on the sofa – there is no competition!
Luckily, I’ve been working on a few easy recipes that I think you’ll like. First up, the delicious Winter Chicken and Vegetable Skillet. This dish is super easy, really delicious and perfect for a Monday night after a long day in the office. Chop up some brussels sprouts, a butternut squash, throw some chicken in there & you are basically done! Easy breezy, right? Just remember, the first step is the most important – pour yourself a chilled glass of K-J AVANT Chardonnay. Nothing makes cooking more fun like a good glass of wine!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts (quartered)
- 1 medium sweet potato, skinned & cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Pour yourself a lovely glass of K-J AVANT Chardonnay.
- In a medium–large cast iron skillet, heat up your olive oil (on medium/high heat) until hot & add in your cubed chicken breast. Throw in a pinch of salt & black pepper and cook until lightly browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add a little more olive oil (if needed) and toss in your Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, garlic, and onions. Add a pinch more salt & pepper and cook until crispy & tender. Stir occasionally so nothing burns.
- Once crispy (or however you like your veggies), add in thyme and ½ cup of chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil and cook until broth has evaporated (roughly 2 minutes). Add in the remaining ½ cup and chicken and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Once broth has evaporated, remove from heat and serve warm.
I mean, how easy is that?! Literally, the chopping takes more time then the actual cooking part of the recipe. I am all about efficiency in the kitchen and this recipe is hard to beat!
My favorite part is the way it pairs so perfectly with the K-J AVANT Chardonnay. The crisp flavor and ease of the Chardonnay helps elevate the dish from something you just whipped up to something you would serve on date night.
Breaking the frozen pizza habit has never been so easy! Give it a try and let me know what you think. Cheers to keeping those healthy resolutions & kicking bad habits!