5 Creative Ways To Use Summer Tomatoes
While tomatoes are delicious on their own or simply with a little olive oil and salt, there are so many creative ways you can enjoy them. We gathered up some ideas you may have never thought of before:
- Bake them. Bet you never thought of wrapping your tomatoes up in a pastrycrustand popping it in the oven. Try baking your summer tomatoes into a delicious tart complete with cheese and fresh herbs. Check out this Heirloom Tomato Tart recipe to get you started!
- Juice them. Fresh tomato juice is surprisingly delicious and can be used to make an amazing homemade tomato juice. If the idea of straight tomato juice is too much for you it also tastes great combined with other flavors. Try one cup watermelon juice, half a cup tomato juice and the juice of one lime, it makes for a refreshing combination.
- Stuff them. Almost anything tastes good when it’s stuffed into a tomato! Pick out some ingredients you love, stuff them into a hollowed out tomato and bake!
- Jar them. Tomatoes can be jarred in many different ways and enjoyed all year round. Try transforming your tomatoes into a sweet jam to put on your next cheeseboard.
- Grill them. Grilling makes everything taste better, even a tomato! Cut some thick slices, coat them in olive oil and grill them as a side dish for your next meal!
If you’re a tomato lover like us then you won’t want to miss out on our Annual Kendall-Jackson Heirloom Tomato Festival happening every September. Enjoy the perfect fall day with garden tours, exceptional wine and food pairings, dynamic wine and garden seminars, the popular Chef’s Challenge, and music provided by The Carlos Herrera Band — not to mention more than 175 different varieties of heirloom tomatoes!
For tips on pairing wine with tomatoes, visit the Entertaining section of our website.