Cherry & Wine Compote with Goat Cheese
Hi it’s Jo-Anna from A Pretty Life Blog, back again to share a tasty summer treat with you! I made a delicious appetizer recipe using cherries as the main ingredient, and I think you’re going to love it! This is a perfect summer appetizer, to be enjoyed on a sunny warm deck with a glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon.
One of my most favourite summer fruits are cherries. Really, is there any better fruit than a sun warmed cherry? But cherries aren’t just for snacking, in fact they are great in savory appetizers and sauces because they’re sweet, tart and pair with so many great cheeses and meats. I especially love cherries paired with goat cheese. The tart and sweet from the cherries, paired with the tangy of the goat cheese is perfection. So with this flavour combination in mind, I made a Cherry & Wine Compote that you serve over a goat cheese log. And let me tell you, it’s amazing! To make this compote even more delicious, I cooked the cherries with a little bit of rosemary and red wine, and as you can imagine, the results were so so very good!
- 2 cups chopped fresh cherries (pitted, and cut into quarters)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine (Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- dash salt
- 1 log goat cheese (4 oz or 11 oz, depending on how many you are serving)
- 1 baguette, sliced
- Add the chopped cherries and sugar to a saucepan, and cook over low heat until the juices are released, about 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine, rosemary sprig and salt, then continue cooking until the juices thicken, about 20 minutes.
- After the compote has cooked, remove the rosemary sprig.
- Let the compote cool slightly, then serve it over the log of goat cheese, and spread over slices of baguette.
Fancy without fuss. I love easy recipes like this that taste delicious, are fun and a little different from what I might usually serve at get togethers.
Serve this appetizer with crackers or slices of baguette, and with a glass of your favourite red wine!
I hope you try this summer appetizer, I think you will love it! And if you like the idea of berries with cheese, you might also like this Puff Pastry Baked Brie with Blueberry Chutney that I shared here last summer! Or stop by my blog to see my post on Fruit & Cheese Appetizer Ideas!
Have a delicious day!