Crostini Three Ways | Part Two – Pear, Brie, & Sage
Lauren Kelp here & we’re back with part two of our Crostini Three Way mini-series & this pairing is a real treat! But first, what did you think of the refreshing Radish & Goat Cheese crostini? Did you try it with the chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc? To die for, wasn’t it? If you loved the nice crisp taste of the last crostini, you are going to love today’s combo – Pear, Brie, and Crispy Sage! So pull up a chair, pour yourself a nice glass of wine (I love Riesling for this combo), and let’s get started…
Like I mentioned previously, the real difference between Bruschetta and Crostini is the bread they are served on. The only other “difference” is that crostini’s have lots of different combos and flavor pairings, while bruschetta are typically served, well, like bruschetta. Why mess up a good thing, right?
Entertaining is all about playing with flavors, trying things out, and having some fun. When I am prepping crostini for appetizers for my guests, I like to think of them as mini dishes. Each crostini has to blend together – the flavors of the toasted baguette, with the cheese, and the fruit or vegetable pairing on top, not to mention the spices that top it off! This combination of sweet pear, slightly salty crispy sage, mixed with the flavors of the brie will have your guests totally impressed, not to mention your taste buds!
- 1 loaf of sliced white bread baguette
- 4 oz. of brie
- 2 Bosc pears, thinly sliced
- 20 medium to large fresh sage leaves
- Brush both sides of sliced bread with olive oil and broil until toasted
- Lightly coat sage leaves with EVOO and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Set oven to 350 degrees and bake sage leaves for 8-10 minutes, or until crisp
- Top bread with 1 oz of brie and 3 pear slices
- Crumble crispy sage and sprinkle on top. Enjoy!
- Pair your sweet & salty crostini with a chilled glass of Riesling and prepare to be in dining heaven!
Photography by Constance Higley
For food and wine pairing tips, visit the Entertaining section of our website.