Helpful Tips for Entertaining in Small Spaces
It always seems the best memories are made with good friends over great wine and delicious food — everything else is just icing on the cake. Throwing dinner parties is one of the best ways to bring these elements together. Most people think you need a large house or apartment to host an unforgettable dinner party with friends — we beg the differ.
Sometimes, all you need to do is get a little creative with the space you have. Just follow these tips to hosting a full-scale dinner party in your small-scale space.
- Don’t be afraid to move your furniture. Move your couch against a wall or even into your bedroom to clear up more space. Get creative; you can always move it back!
- Reduce the clutter in the kitchen by choosing food you can prep ahead of time. Better yet, make your party a potluck. This way your kitchen can be used as an extra entertaining space instead of being bogged down with food and dishes.
- Create more surface space. You can move your dressers from your bedroom into your living room to create extra surface space for food and drinks. Also, try placing a large piece of plywood on your coffee table, covered by a tablecloth, to increase the size.
- Go buffet style instead of a formal sit-down dinner. Make small treats for your guests to eat while standing to eliminate the need for a dining room table, creating more space.
- Think outside the box by using a sink as a cooler, this way you save fridge and living room space. Just make sure there is a separate bathroom for your guests to use!
- Think decorative but small; adorn your apartment with small flowers in small vases. This will add a decorative flair without taking up much needed space. Try decorating with small tea candles as well to add ambience without encroaching on your entertaining space.