Hot Caramelized Onion & Bacon Dip
Hi there, it’s Melissa here from The Sweet Escape with a hot and delicious recipe that will give you a reason to invite people over to share it with. The winter months are all about cozy nights in with lots of comfort food, good friends and wine. This hot caramelized onion & bacon dip is just the perfect snack for those occasions.
Dips are great because they really encourage you and your guests to get cozy around the table together. Whether it’s a romantic night in or a game night with close friends and family, don’t forget about the double dipping rule!
This hot caramelized onion & bacon dip is sure to be a big hit with all the delicious flavors and the guooey gruyere cheese makes it melt in your mouth. Serve with Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay or a light bodied red like Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Pinot Noir and you’ve got yourself the perfect snack.
Here’s my adaptation of this recipe. It’s really quick and can easily be doubled for a bigger group if you like:
- 6 bacon strips
- 2 sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (optional or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere Cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ teaspoon freshly, ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon in a pan until well done, place on paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- In same pan from cooking bacon, add chopped onions and sugar. Cook on medium heat stirring often until they become golden brown caramel color. This can take 20-30 minutes.
- Add the wine, hot sauce & thyme to onions for the last 3 minutes of cooking or until wine has cooked off.
- In separate bowl, mix together mayo, sour cream, cheese, salt, pepper.
- Add onion mixture and crumbled bacon, stir until blended then transfer to oven safe dish.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until top is melted and golden. Cook on broil for 3-6 minutes if necessary to get extra crispy golden top but be sure to keep a close eye on it.
- Serve with fresh bread or crackers.
The gruyere cheese in combination with the creamy mayo and sour cream make for the most delicious melt-in-your-mouth bite to scoop up with a piece of fresh bread.
Try this hot caramelized onion & bacon dip for your next get together and I guarantee that it will become a fast comfort food favorite this season.
For food and wine pairing tips, visit the Entertaining section of our website.