Pistachio and Spinach Hummus
Hey there, Melissa here from The Sweet Escape with a St. Patrick’s day recipe to make you green with envy. I don’t know about you but the way I’ve celebrated St. Patrick’s day has changed with age. If you’ve perhaps outgrown the green beer but still like to celebrate with a nice glass (or two) of wine and something green to snack on, then I have a perfect recipe for you. Whether you’re doing a whole green food theme potluck party or just celebrating with a few friends, this green and delicious recipe for pistachio spinach hummus is quick, easy and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
This is kind of a two part recipe but you can easily just do it all at once. You’re making pistachio spinach pesto and then adding it to a homemade hummus recipe. (adapted from this recipe)
- 2 cups basil
- ½ cup spinach
- ½ cup pistachio, toasted
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 19 oz cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more to drizzle over the hummus
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup Pistachio Spinach Basil Pesto (recipe above)
- ½ tsp red hot chili flakes plus some for topping (optional)
- Throw all the ingredients in a blender until blended and smooth. Add more oil & lemon juice if necessary to get desired texture.
- Place all ingredients in a blender, leaving some pesto and chili flakes aside for the topping, and blend until smooth texture is achieved. Top your hummus with an extra dollop of the pesto and some crushed pistachios and chili flakes and you're done.
Pair this snack with some crackers meant for shovelling and a bottle of Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay and toast to St. Patrick!