Rustic Honey Peach Galette
Hi it’s Jo-Anna from A Pretty Life Blog, and I’m here to share a delicious summer dessert with you, a Rustic Honey Peach Galette! Once summer arrives, I declare that it is indeed pie season, so let’s eat all. the. pie. Peach pie, strawberry pie, apricot pie, apple pie, blueberry pie…are you hungry yet?
Since it’s summer and peaches are found in abundance, I thought it was timely to make a peach pie, actually a peach galette. Galettes are one of my favourite ways to make a pie…I love how rustic they look, all that flaky beautiful crust wrapped around a delicious filling. Not to mention that galettes are so much easier and less fussy to assemble than a traditional top and bottom pie crust. And sometimes if I want to make things even easier I will use a pre-made bought puff pastry crust, but for this Honey Peach Galette I made a homemade traditional pie crust to hold it all together and it is divine.
The crust is tender and flaky, the filling bursting with fresh summer peach flavour and a hint of honey. I even added a glaze with a touch of Chardonnay, which finishes this galette off perfectly.
This is summer eating right here.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup shortening (lard)
- ¼ cup water
- 5 peaches, cut in half then sliced thin
- 3 tbsp honey
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in the shortening until the particles are like course sand.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork.
- Press the dough into a ball.
- Roll the crust out on a piece of parchment paper (the dough should be about a ⅛ of an inch thick), making the crust roughly the shape of a circle.
- Place the pie crust onto a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl combine the sliced peaches, honey, lemon juice and corn starch.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the honey and wine. Set aside.
- Place the sliced peach mix into the centre of the pie dough sheet.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over to cover the outer edge of the peach pile. Overlap as needed.
- Brush the pastry with milk, then generously sprinkle on some sugar.
- Place the galette into the oven, then immediately TURN DOWN the heat to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- When the galette is done baking, remove it from the oven and brush the peach centre with the glaze. Let the galette sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve slightly warm with ice cream or whipping cream!
Here are Some Recipe Tips for You:
- You may find that there is a bit too much pie dough, so if you do have a little extra use a cookie cutter and cut out little shapes in the excess dough. Brush them with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Then eat them like cookies.
- Use ripe peaches for this recipe because they are sweeter and have so much more flavour.
- I used a liquid honey for this recipe because I like the flavour the best. But you could try other honeys like a lavender honey.
Enjoy this delicious summer Honey Peach Galette with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a chilled glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay. The fresh peach flavour pairs so perfectly with this Chardonnay!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
If you liked this galette recipe, head on over to my blog for more delicious summer galette recipe ideas!
Have a delicious day!