Spring Vegetable Potstickers
You can take your favorite Chinese restaurant off speed-dial with these super easy, homemade and healthful potstickers. With pre-made wonton wrappers, potstickers are way less tedious than you’d imagine, and, best yet? You can control what goes in and how they’re cooked. We’ve used fresh spring vegetables from the farmers market here, but you can easily swap ingredients out based on what you prefer or have on hand. Paired with the light and zippy Kendall-Jackson AVANT Sauvignon Blanc, you’ve got a light, but filling meal to enjoy on your own or with friends.
- 3 cups chopped mixed spring vegetables (asparagus, fresh peas, leeks, carrots)
- ½ cup green onions, cut at a bias
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 stalk spring garlic, minced
- 1 cup firm tofu, diced into extra-small pieces
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp shoyu
- 30-40 store bought dumpling/wonton wrappers
- neutral oil for cooking
- A pitcher of water, for steaming
- In a large bowl, combine mixed veggies, green onion, shallot, spring garlic, and bits of tofu until thoroughly mixed. Next stir in the sesame oil and shoyu. Set aside to marinate for a bit while you prep a surface for assembly.
- Pour a bit of water into a small bowl. You’ll use this for dipping to seal the edges. Place a wonton wrapper at the center of your workspace. Dip a finger in the water bowl, and line the edges of the wrapper to dampen––this will help the edges stick when you fold them together. Place a small mound of filling into the center of the wrapper. Fold in half, brining the top edge to touch, then pinch the wrapper along the seams to seal. Use extra water if you’re having a hard time getting a full seal. Repeat until you run out of filling.
- To cook, heat a heavy-bottomed pan over high heat with a bit of sesame oil or other neutral cooking oil. Place 6-10 dumplings (or however many can fit in the pan without touching) and sear for 2-3 minutes to brown the bottoms. Pour 1 cup of water into the sizzling pan and cover immediately, cook for 5-7 additional minutes. Remove from heat to cool on a plate and repeat with remaining potstickers. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce of choice.