K-J Recipe: Pear & Arugula Salad
Countdown to Thanksgiving
On my Thanksgiving table, I try to offer at least a few dishes that are fresh and bright to help balance out the heavier flavors you find in the traditional dishes. This salad is perfect — the sweetness of the pears complements the peppery flavors of the arugula beautifully. (It’s also great for the day after Thanksgiving when you crave something light!)
This recipe initially appeared in Better Homes & Gardens.
Pear & Arugula Salad
Prep: 20 minutes | Stand: 15 minutes
- 1 recipe Lemon Vinaigrette (see below)
- 2 red Bartlett pears
- 12 cups arugula (about 8 oz.)
- 1/3 cup dry roasted, salted sunflower kernels
- 2 oz. Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Shredded lemon peel (optional)
1. Prepare Lemon Vinaigrette. Transfer 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette dressing to large bowl. Quarter, core, and seed pears. Cut each quarter in thin slices; add to dressing in bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes.
2. Add arugula to pears; toss lightly to coat. Transfer to serving platter. Top with sunflower kernels, Parmesan, and lemon peel. Serve with remaining dressing. Cover and refrigerate remaining vinaigrette up to 1 week. Makes 8 servings.
Lemon Vinaigrette: In bowl combine 1 tablespoon lemon peel, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
Make Ahead: Prepare Lemon Vinaigrette as directed. Refrigerate, covered, up to 1 week. To serve, bring to room temperature.
Check out more great recipes from the Kendall-Jackson Culinary Team.
Photo by Reed Davis