Kale, Ricotta and Caramelized Onion Pizza Recipe
Today, we're sharing this simple and sophisticated recipe for Kale, Ricotta and Caramelized Onion Pizza at home for a casual game night with friends or date night in with a loved one. Pair it with some Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Pinot Noir and you've got the makings for a perfect night in.
Making pizza at home means you and your guests are in control of the toppings, the best part, right? The only rule about toppings is that there are no rules. Take your favorite flavor profiles and have fun with it. We can't get enough kale and red pepper flakes lately, so we built our pizza from that starting point. Feel free to add/subtract for a profile that best suits your taste.
- 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbs. lukewarm water
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus some for working
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup preferred marinara
- 15 oz. fresh ricotta
- 1 lb yellow onions, sliced thinly
- ½ lb fennel sausage (optional)
- 2 cups kale, rinsed and torn to large pieces
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water and let stand until slightly foamy. After 10 minutes, stir in the flour and the salt using a fork in a circular motion, gradually pull the flour into the yeast mixture. Continue stirring until a dough forms.
- Lightly flour a work surface with some of the ½ cup flour and transfer the dough to it. Using the heel of your hand, knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic. Place mound back into the bowl. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile prep the onions. Heat a large skillet over high heat with a dash of olive oil. Add the onions and stir to coat. Allow to wilt and brown for up to 40 minutes until caramelization occurs. Add a bit of balsamic vinegar halfway through cooking. Remove from heat. In the same saucepan, add kale (and sausage, if you so choose) and cook until the sausage is thoroughly cooked and the kale is wilted. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven for 400.' For assembly, roll out risen dough on a floured surface to a the size of a large baking sheet. Place crust on baking sheet and par-bake in a hot oven for 5-7 minutes. Form an assembly line with your toppings. Remove par-baked crust from the oven and dress with marinara first, following with kale, onions, ricotta, sausage, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Bake for another 8-10 minutes or until the crust begins to brown.
For food and wine pairing tips, visit the Entertaining section of our website.