Red Wine & Sausage Bolognese Recipe
Come wintertime, every year without fail, I find myself craving rich, hearty, stick-to-your-rib type deliciousness in abundance. With this in mind, when I hosted my post-holiday dinner party not long ago, my mission was to warm my guests to their bones with a handful of classic-with-a-twist recipes. Enter: this red wine and sausage bolognese recipe. It’s rich, it’s flavourful, it’s the recipe you didn’t know you were missing but you totally need in your life. Set the table with these rosemary sea salt favors, top up glasses with a bold red wine and you, my friend, will have some very happy guests on your hand.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3-4 large garlic cloves, diced
- ½ a green pepper, chopped finely
- 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
- 4 Italian sausages, casing removed and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- ¼ cup Kendall-Jackson Cabernet
- 2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 28 oz. good quality tomato sauce
- ¾ cup water
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, green pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Toss in the garlic and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add your tomato, sausage, oregano, basil and thyme. Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in the Kendall-Jackson red wine and stir.
- Add fennel seeds, black pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Next, toss in the tomato sauce, water, bay leaves, sugar, and a generous pinch of salt. Add lid and bring to a slow boil. Stir, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours (the longer the better!)
- Pour overtop your noodle of choice, top with freshly grated parmesan and enjoy!
Notes: it’s even better the next day, so feel free to prep the day before your dinner party, cover and place in the fridge. Simply heat it up when your guests arrive!
For food and wine pairing tips, visit the Entertaining section of our website.