Wine Pairing: Flourless Chocolate Cake & Vintner’s Reserve Merlot
Hello! Lauren here from LaurenKelp.com & today we are whipping up one of my all-time favorite desserts – flourless chocolate cake! This dessert is perfect for entertaining in the backyard, a slam-dunk for a potluck, and, if you live in our house, always good to have on hand because you never know when the craving for chocolate will strike!
Don’t stop now! Keep scrolling because this is a recipe you won’t want to miss…
So let’s talk dessert. Not all desserts are created equal and, sadly, not all desserts have chocolate as a main ingredient. These mini flourless chocolate cakes however, are both amazing and choclate-centric. Basically, they are the unicorn of desserts. Perfect & portion controlled!
If that isn’t a gals best friend, I don’t know what is.
Don’t let the bundt pan fool you, this sassy little dessert doesn’t discriminate against seasons & hits the spot all year round. Pair it with a glass of Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Merlot & it’s the perfect pairing for a great night!
Let’s get to baking! The recipe below makes 12 mini bundt cakes or two 8-inch round cakes. Your choice! Either way, they are divine.
- 1½ cup unsalted butter (3 sticks)
- 12 ounces of 72% dark chocolate cocoa, coarsely chopped
- ½ cups of red wine (preferable Merlot)
- 6 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- Preheat over to 350°F. Prepare 2 mini bundt cake pans by lightly spraying them with coconut oil or baking spray
- Set a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water (make sure pan is not touching the water), combine the butter & chocolate and heat until melted. Stir occasionally.
- When combo is full melted, remove from heat and gently whisk in the red wine. Set aside and let cool
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract on medium to high speed until light & fluffy (about 5 minutes). Batter should double in size
- Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until the batter is fully incorporated and uniform in color.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean
- Remove from heat & let cool slightly before removing cakes from pan
- Lightly dust the top of each cake with powdered sugar
- Pour yourself (and your guests) a nice class of Vintner's Reserve Merlot & indulge in a perfectly paired dessert!