Spiced Roasted Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Kale Pesto
Node Shortcode: [[nid:98]]
For the soup:
- 6-8 medium carrots (600 ml), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large sweet potatoes (800 ml), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, in skin
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- ½-1 cup water
- 2 star anise, whole
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
For the kale pesto:
- 2 cups packed, torn kale, stems removed
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons parmigiano reggiano
- ⅓ cup almonds
- ½ cup greek yogurt (any fat content will do)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- For the soup: Preheat the oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the carrots, sweet potatoes garlic and onion with olive oil. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Spread vegetables in an even layer on the lined baking sheet. Roast for 40-45 stirring every 10 minutes, starting at the 20 minute mark, or until very tender and caramelized at the edges. Tip: if your vegetables become tender but have not caramelized, place them under the broiler for 5 minutes to speed the caramelization process.
- Place half of the roasted vegetables in a blender, being sure to remove the roasted garlic from the skins. Add half of the chicken broth and blend until smooth. Transfer to a soup pot and repeat with the second half of the vegetables and broth.
- If your soup is very thick, add water to thin then add the spices and remaining teaspoon of salt. Bring the soup to a boil and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour to infuse with the flavors of the spices.
- For the kale pesto: Combine kale, basil, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Add the cheese and almonds and pulse again until a smooth pesto forms.
- To serve: Thin the yogurt by combining with water. Ladle hot soup into a bowl then drizzle with thinned yogurt and pesto. Add a sprinkle of pepitas and serve immediately.