Many people have visited the Kendall-Jackson Wine Estate & Gardens, just north of Sonoma’s county seat of Santa Rosa.
With its cream-colored chateau, marked by mansard roof and courtyard fountain, Kendall-Jackson Wine Estate & Gardens provides visitors with a year-round experience. You can walk in anytime — no appointment needed — and our tasting room staff will entertain and educate you as they walk you through an array of Kendall-Jackson wines.
But there’s more to the Kendall-Jackson Wine Estate and Gardens than that! We’ve been working on revising and perfecting a spectrum of activities you may not know about. So, with the summer touring season upon us, here are some specific options to maximize your visit.
For wine tasting, we offer three individual flights — your choice. They are:
- Reserve Tasting – $10.00 – Five wines from our Grand Reserve collections. Wines vary by vintage and type, but typically include Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Rosé.
- Estate Tasting – $20.00 – Five wines from our new Jackson Estate collection. These are appellation-based Pinot Noirs, Chardonnays, Viogniers, Cabernet Sauvignons and Syrahs from Kendall-Jackson’s best mountain and hillside vineyards along the California coast.
- Blind Tasting Experience – $30.00. Led by our knowledgeable wine hosts, you’ll taste seven wines in our Founder’s Room, under the “blind” circumstances professional tasters employ to really learn about wine. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only, beginning at 2:00 p.m. and limited to 8 guests.
Beyond wine tasting, you can tour Kendall-Jackson Wine Estate’s garden, and participate in high-end wine and food educational pairings:
Garden Tasting & Tour, $25.00 – Indulge your senses with a wine tasting and walk-around though our spectacular Sensory and Culinary Gardens, led by our educators. With hundreds of varieties of everything from kale to carrots, basil to broccoli, mushrooms to melons, the garden is one of the greatest in California; your hosts will offer you just-picked samples of the latest discoveries from Culinary Gardener Tucker Taylor. Wine tasting includes a mix of Grand Reserve and Jackson Estate wines . This one-hour experience is conducted daily at 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 3:00 p.m., and is limited to 12-16 guests.
Wine and Food Educational Pairings
We offer three distinctive choices, each designed to please the palate. These are led by our chefs and wine hosts, and will expand your knowledge of wine and food in a delicious way.
- Wine & Food Pairing – $40.00 – An hour-long experience of the finest of Sonoma County’s bounty of food, including produce from our gardens. Some recent pairings have included Housemade Lamb Sausage, with an Estate Micro Salad, paired with Grand Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, and Sweet Tea-Brined Niman Ranch Pork Belly Sliders with Syrah BBQ Sauce, paired with Jackson Estate Alisos Hills Syrah. Held daily from 10:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Wine & Cheese Pairing – $30.00 – A variety of locally-produced artisan cheeses, from such creameries as Cypress Grove, DeBernardi Dairy and Bellwether Farms, are seamlessly paired with K-J wines, from dry to dessert-sweet. Daily from 10:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Wine & Chocolate Pairing – $25.00. Like chocolate truffles and other decadent desserts? Our K-J kitchen staff prepares the best in the world, and then our wine hosts pair four of them with appropriately-sweet wines, including Grand Reserve Port and Late Harvest Orange Muscat. This 45-minute tasting is held daily from 10:00 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
No matter what experience you choose, we sincerely hope your visit to the Kendall-Jackson Wine Estate & Gardens will be a fun, memorable one. See you at the chateau!
Steve Heimoff is one of America’s most respected and well-known wine writers. The former West Coast Editor for Wine Enthusiast Magazine and a contributor to Wine Spectator, he has also authored two books on the subject of California wine, including “New Classic Winemakers of California: Conversations with Steve Heimoff,” published in the fall of 2007.